Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How to - cook risotto {with just about anything}

Risotto is one of my "go-to" dishes when I don't know what the heck I'm going to have for dinner.
I do try not to have it more than once a week though!

Risotto is easy-peasy!



You just need short grain rice - I use arborio rice, just the ordinary old kind from the supermarket.
And you need some vegetables.
Also useful is some wine for cooking {and maybe slurping as you cook!} and some stock {I use vegeta stock powder}

Tonight I rummaged around to see what veggies I had - there was some sweet potato {or kumera as it is sometimes called} and bit of cauliflower that needed using up and I had a tin of corm kernels.

And here's what I did -

Cut the sweet potato into roughly 2cm cubes and the cauliflower into mini florets.
Doused them in some olive oil and roasted them for about 20 mins in a moderate oven, giving them a stir after 10 mins.

While that was cooking I chopped half an onion and sauted that in my wok pan until it was translucent, I added a squishes clove of garlic and 1 cup of arborio rice.
Gave everything a good stir.

Put the kettle on.

Stir the rice and onion until the rice also goes a bit translucent.
Add 1/4 cup of white wine {you can have a slug as well at this stage if you like}.
When the wine has disappeared from the pan add 1 cup of boiling water from the kettle, give it all a good stir. You can add your stock cube or powder now as well.

Traditionally you are supposed to stir risotto continuously but this is a bit of a bother and I normally find it's ok to just give it a stir now and again as you pass by.

When the water has all been absorbed add another cup of boiling water and stir as before....after that has all gone add another 1/2 cup of water which might be enough...if the rice still isn't cooked add another 1/2 cup of water.

Pop in the corn kernels.
By now the sweet potato and cauliflower should be cooked - take it out of the oven and stir in as well.

Finally add a quarter of a cup of grated parmesan cheese.


Yum!

Other risotto options -
roast pumpkin, leek and peas.
mushroom and aparagus.

What is your favorite?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...