Saturday, March 23, 2013

Seven last dvd's I watched

Our local video shop has a list of special deals and one of he best is the 7 dvds for $5 only available on a Wednesday. It's a great way to catch up on the movies that I missed.
So I take my list to the shop and last week thisis what I can back with -

1. The Iron Lady
The story of MargaretThtcher, British Prime Minister.
I thought Meryl Streep was amazing! And I enjoyed watching it as a bit of period piece, not sure that the recent times bits were quite as convincing.
Would I recommend it? Nah.

2. J. Edgar
The story of J. Edgar Hoover, the long-time head of the FBI.
I also thought that Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing - not really being very familiar with J Edgar I can't say if it was such a faithful depiction as Meryl's of Maggie.
It's beautifully made as well.
Recommenation - maybe.

3. The Hurt Locker
I was a bit in two minds about this as I'm not a great fan of war movies, but hub had seen it and recommended it.
It's a totally engrossing movie, very believable. The characters seem really real.
Recommendation - see it!

4. Carnage
It's obvious that this is a movie of a stage play. (Hope I'm right about that!)
It is quite "stagey" in that it takes part in one afternoon in one location and is very wordy.
It is well acted by Jodie Foster, Kate Winslett, Christopher Waltz and John C. Reilly - all superb actors IMO!
It is very cleverly written.
Recommendation - OK if you need something cerebral and no action.

5. The Rum Diary
Well it had Johnny Depp and it is from a Hunter S. Thompson....but in the end was less than satisfying. The twist towards the end lacked "oomph" the whole movie meandered and lost it's way several times.
I was interested to see Puerto Rico as it was in the 60's, having been there more recently.
Recommendation - only if you are need of a Johnny Depp fix.

6. The Eye of the Storm
From the book by Patrick White.
I soooo enjoyed this, right from the very first moment.
I love Geoffrey Rush and Judy Davis.
It was lovely and well- paced and funny and sad all at once.
Recommended (thoug I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea)


7. Beginners
I wanted to enjoy this more as it has Ewan McGregor in and Melanie Laurent as well as christopher Plummer. It's a gentle little story.
Recommendation -  OK for a quiet Sunday afternoon.

What have you seen lately?
Any suggestions to add to my list?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...