Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm in training...but, shhhh

 ....it's a secret!
Just in case things don't work out the way I want them to.

Anyway I need to get fitter and I need to go up and down hills, so today I started.
Luckily I live in a place called the Blue Mountains, so there are a few hills - it's not really mountainous compared to other parts of the world, but for my purpose it will do just fine!

In my neighbourhood is the start of the Blue Mountains, the escarpment as you rise up from the Sydney plains.

 This is Elizabeth Lookout and I could actually see the towers of Sydney, but it was a bit of a fuggy day - on a clear day you can see better.


 So I walked down to under Knapsack bridge.


This used to be the main road from Sydney west to the rest of Australia!
It is a magnificent construction, built from local sandstone.
It was originally built as the viaduct for the railway crossing bulit in the 1880's but the railway was re-routed and the bridge became a road bridge in the 1920s.
It was even widened later to make 2 lanes - you can see the dark part at the top is the extra roadway.


When the new super-dooper road was built in the 1980 the bridge was preserved and you can walk across it.

Anyway I walked down, down from Elizabeth lookut right down to Knapsack creek which has a lot of water in it at the moment - it looks nice and clean but it isn't!

And you know what they say - "what goes down, has to come back up again"?

So then it was up, up, up all the steps back to the top.

How did I go?
Well I was huffing and puffing and had to stop many times on the way back up.
My left knee was a bit sore - and I was very hot and sweaty!
But it's a start.....more to come....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...